JANUARY 17TH UPDATE: CONTACT WITH THE TOWNSHIP OFFICE HAS CONFIRMED THAT THEY WILL NOW POST THE “EVENT” ON THE TOWNSHIP WEBSITE SOMETIME TODAY!
JANUARY 18TH UPDATE: THE PROMISED POSTING OF THE JANUARY 22 “EVENT” ON THE TOWNSHIP WEBSITE HAS NOT YET OCCURRED!
JANUARY 21 UPDATE: AS OF TODAY, SOMETIME AFTER 2 PM, TOMORROW’S “EVENT” HAS FINALLY BEEN POSTED ON THE TOWNSHIP WEBSITE.
LAST NIGHT AT A PRECINCT DELEGATE CAPTAIN MEETING, SUPERVISOR GONSER INDICATED THAT HE INVITED 190 INDIVIDUALS TO THE SPECIAL EVENT. WHEN ASKED WHY HE DID NOT ANNOUNCE THE EVENT TO THE PUBLIC AT THE LAST BOARD MEETING, HE SAID:
“I did not feel compelled to do so!”
WHEN ASKED WHY HE DID NOT INVITE ALL BOARD AND COMMISSION MEMBERS, HE SAID:
“I chose not to invite everyone!’
HE DID SAY THAT THE EVENT WILL BE TELEVISED LIVE ON THE TOWNSHIP WEBSITE, AND CAN BE WATCHED ON CHANNEL 17 ON COMCAST.
Supervisor Gonser has scheduled a “State of the Township” address for January 22nd at the Township Hall. Hors d’oeuvres will be served at 6:30 PM. He has personally invited individuals to this event, and requested RSVP’s. After calling the Township Hall about this event, they indicated it is open to the public since it is in a public building, however, there may not be enough hors d’oeuvres for everyone since private invitations had been sent out by Supervisor Gonser. It is not posted on the Township website as a community event. It is not indicated as an event that will be broadcast over the Township’s live broadcast for the entire Township to see.
This event raises many questions that Supervisor Gonser needs to address. Some of them being:
- Who all has been invited to this event?
- Is this really open to all residents?
- If not, why is it not open to all residents of Oakland Township?
- Why is it not scheduled for being broadcast over the Township website?
- Should not the “State of the Township” be addressed to the entire community?
- Who is paying for the food?
- If this is a private event being sponsored by the Supervisor, is he paying for the use of the Township Hall?
- Why has the communication of this event been so secretive?
- Why didn’t Supervisor Gonser announce the meeting at the January 14th Board Meeting?
This may be one of Supervisor Gonser’s attempts at improving “transparency” in our Township. Here is a copy of one of the “private” special invitations that one resident received: