At the May 13, 2015 Oakland Township Parks and Recreation Commission (PRC) meeting, there was a proposal to have the Oakland Township PRC become part of the Oakland County Trails, Water and Land Alliance. Parks Commissioner Ann Marie Rogers expressed her concern that this is part of an ‘overreach’ plan by the Environmental Protection Agency. During public comment a citizen, who is a self proclaimed ‘authority on Agenda 21’, indicated that this was part of the Agenda 21 conspiracy and a communist plan by the Federal Government to take over control of our land.
The citizen’s comments provide some insight into the thinking of those that believe there is a conspiracy based on the international agreement called Agenda 21. As previously reported, based on comments he made at an Oakland Township Republican Precinct delegate meeting on January 20 , 2014, Supervisor Gonser is a believer in this conspiracy. Here is a link to the posting on his comments:
Supervisor Gonser on Agenda 21
The PRC approved joining the Oakland County Trails, Water and Land alliance in a 5 to 2 vote. Commissioner Rogers and Schmidt were the dissenting votes.
Here is some additional information on this subject:
- Oakland County Trails, Water and Land Alliance’s (TWLA) stated purpose is:
- To become an informed, coordinated, collaborative body that supports initiatives related to Oakland County’s Green Infrastructure Network.
- Share information and coordinate efforts at quarterly TWLA meetings
- Pursue the establishment of partnerships in both the public and private sectors
- Promote TWLA through the Oak Routes Map, Fall Celebration, Green Infrastructure Vision, and other events and marketing materials
- Provide support to TWLA partner organizations for grants and other funding opportunities
- Oakland County’s Green Infrastructure Network is part of an initiative of L. Brooks Patterson, and has for its vision statement:
- Enhancing recreational opportunities
- Protecting important natural habitat
- Increasing access to natural land and water resources
- Developing parks, trails, and recreational facilities
- Oakland Township has participated in many events that the Alliance has sponsored through the years.
- There are almost 40 communities and organizations that are part of this alliance – including Rochester Hills, Addison Township, Springfield Township and many others
- There are no fees or obligations associated with joining this alliance
- The alliance has provided support to Oakland Township for grant applications
- The Township can withdraw from the alliance at any time without any negative consequences
- The vision of the alliance is consistent with the desires of the Parks and Recreation Commission.
Both Commissioner Ann Marie Rogers and Arlene Allen, the self proclaimed ‘authority on Agenda 21’, feel that this alliance is part of a conspiracy to take away the liberty of our citizens and community. They claim their position is supported by the Republican Party. Based on previous comments by Supervisor Gonser, he appears to also believe in this conspiracy theory.
Here is a video of the proceedings at the May 13th meeting. This is a ‘must watch’ video to get an understanding of what these conspiracy theorist think.
Here is a link to a Glenn Beck trailer providing insight into what these conspiracy theorist see as our future under Agenda 21.
The conspiracy theorist’s vision of our future
If you want to learn more about Gonser’s position on Agenda 21, please visit the following link and watch the video of the comments from Jim Foulkrod, former Township Trustee, Zoning Board of Appeals member and Planning Commission member:
What does Agenda 21 have to do with Oakland Township?
Why is this important to the citizens of Oakland Township? The people that believe there is an Agenda 21 conspiracy are a sub group of the ‘Tea Party’ Republicans. It now appears that Parks Commissioners Ann Marie Rogers and Roger Schmidt, as well as Supervisor Gonser, subscribe to that conspiracy theorist thinking.
The 2012 Republican Platform did take a position in not supporting the 1992 Agenda 21 agreement. This position was driven by the Tea Party members of the Party. I do not believe that the majority of Oakland Township citizens subscribe to this fanatical conspiratorial way of thinking, yet some of our elected officials do. The 2016 elections will give our community an opportunity to elect officials that are not ‘extremist’ or paranoid in their thinking.